Friday 13 January 2012

6 6 ...

6 months on, and rather a lot has changed. A couple of weeks after my initial blog, our lives had a rather major turn around. It started with an extreme low point, when T(8) came home on a Thursday from a jaunt around the block on his bike. He was clearly out of sorts, and after a 1/2 hour or so he worked up the courage to tell me that someone had put a lit lighter up to his hair. On closer inspection, I saw that a good 7-8cm diameter spot of hair had been completed melted away... I shudder to think how bad this could have been had he not been wearing his bicycle helmet at the time. Clearly a tuft sticking out had been melted.

I sent a text to my husband, stating I want to MOVE and I want to move NOW!

Friday morning, I get a text from him asking how I would feel about moving to Auckland.
He'd been tentatively offered his dream job. It would however mean less pay, and, well, Auckland!

After a weekend of furious investigating on the www for accomodation prices, budgeting etc, and consultation with potential employers in Auckland by Sunday afternoon, we had firm offer which we could survive on.

Monday Carl handed in his 4 week notice with his employers in Wellington.

If the preceeding weekend had been stressful, the following 4 weeks was more so. Finding a home in a new city, that was not in convenient commuting distance, on a tight budget (both financially and time wise) was challenging, particularly as the Auckland rental market works quite differently to the Wellington rental market. We were fortunate to find a place to live within the first 2 weeks, which meant we had a full two weeks to pack up and move.

4 weeks after having received the firm offer, we arrived in Auckland.

We drove through howling winds, and later I learned that this was the outer edges of a tornado. And the Aucklanders keep telling me how glad I must be to be out of Windy Wellington!

Prior to our move I had ofcourse arranged for all the essetials to be connected, power, water, phone, internet... 3 of the 4 were. Internet was not available. We have been in Auckland 4 months now. We've had broadband internet for almost 48 hours.

We've managed in that time to use 80% of our first 40GB allotment for the monthly billing period that ends tonight. We had a lot of catching up to do with podcast dowloads, software updates...

Tomorrow my 'baby' boy turns 6 years old. In New Zealand this means that as of tomorrow he is legally required to attend a registered school for the next 10 years. It's a pretty big day. The official énd'of his baby years.

No comments:

Post a Comment